Saturday, February 11, 2012

Savory Saturday: Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas

If you've been reading this blog for very long, you must think I'm a vegetarian.  I'm actually not.  Seriously, I have proof: my twitter name is @lauralovesBACON - but my husband is a wanna-be veg-head.  Due to his job (he has the arduous task of constantly taking people out to eat... he might do more than just that, but who knows what!), he has to eat meat occasionally, so when he's at home, he prefers to eat meat-free.  This was a HUGE transition for me.  I love me some burgers and fried chicken and bacon.  Preferably all on the same plate with a side of sausage.  So, when this whole vegetarian thing started, I was sort of at a loss for meals.  Thankfully, the internet is my friend, and I now have more veggie-focused meals than I could have imagined.  This particular entree is a definite favorite of mine.  I love enchiladas in any form, and the potato/black bean mixture makes them hearty and filling, but not heavy or greasy like enchiladas often are.  Even if you usually eat a hunk o' meat at every meal, you'll still love these... promise.



Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas

originally adapted and posted by me on allrecipes.com 

Ingredients
1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, diced small
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 jar chili-verde salsa
1 tsp. olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 cup frozen corn
1 (15.5 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
1 (12 ounce) package Mexican cheese blend (cheddar or pepperjack are also great)
2 (12 ounce) packages corn tortillas

Preheat oven to 400.  Toss diced potatoes together with cumin, chili powder, salt, and ketchup in a bowl.  Mix until potatoes are evenly coated with spices, then place on a lightly oiled baking dish.  Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until tender.


Meanwhile, heat saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil and saute bell peppers and onion until they begin to soften.  Add corn and continue sauteing for 2-3 minutes.  Remove from heat, then add beans and potatoes.  Stir well to combine.


To assemble: Spread a thin layer of salsa on the bottom of a 9x13 or two 8x8 baking dishes. Layer with corn tortillas, slightly overlapping.  Top tortillas with 1/2 of the bean and potato mixture.  Sprinkle liberally with cilantro and 1/3 of the cheese.


Add another later of tortillas, salsa, bean mixture, cilantro, and cheese.  Finish with one more layer or tortillas, salsa and cover with remaining cheese.


Bake for 20 minutes, until hot and cheese is bubbling.  Sprinkle with remaining cilantro just before serving.  Guacamole or sour cream on the side would be an excellent idea! 

2 comments:

  1. This looks totally fab! I'm always looking for new meatless recipes, and I'm not even a vegetarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you think your dad would miss the meat? these look and sound fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete